Call for articles | PAD#17 | PAD: Paesaggio – Arte – Design
by Anna Mazzanti and Matilde Marzotto Caotorta, guest editors
This call for submissions refers to the journal acronym (PAD. Pages of Art and Design), that also stands for the topic chosen: Landscape (Paesaggio in Italian), Art and Design.
The topic focuses on:
- how the landscape is a cross between art and design?
- landscape can be a stage in which a work of art is produced or a background for the interaction between art and design;
- what is the landscape for a designer and what is it for the artist?
- how physical and virtual Mediterranean landscapes can be enhanced?
- it is also asked focus on the representation of the landscape: from cartography to maps, from communication to visual identity.
The two point of views, both that of the artistic heritage and that of the designer, grow up at the Department of Design at the Politecnico di Milano. The department consists of a very interdisciplinary environment in which a varied group of scholars researches from the project to the cultural heritage, from processes to historical aspects.
Then this call for paper refers to scholars in humanistic studies as well as design studies.
We are interested in texts that focus on a theoretical, aesthetic, and critical approach as well as on projects associated with the contemporary Mediterranean landscapes. Our focus is on water, the coast, the routes, and all the traditions of this part of Europe connected with the experience of the Mediterranean. This is the geographical area that the PAD review has focused on since its beginning.
The fact that the Mediterranean is a closed sea allows the coasts to be in close quarters so that both traditions and weather are similar to their connection to the sea. This region has also historically been a place of exchange as well as the difficult road for many African and Middle Eastern immigrants in search of a better life until today. Studying these various territories and their interactions is a very complex task, considering the human migration on the Mediterranean is filled with historical roads that contain a point of connections as well as lines of division between cultures.
Which kind of synergy exists in this area? Are art and design able to develop new places connected with contemporary culture in this context? Does any efficacious case of study exist between the contamination of art and design and so can barriers and limits fall? If so, is this contamination able to eliminate the pre-existing cultural barriers? Where is this kind of synergy of the Mediterranean born, and why are they born in this region?
The call for paper demands the attention of a large field of interest for designers, architects, artists, curators, cultural operators, art critics, and philosophers that study the aesthetics of the landscape.
We ask to send:
- abstract proposals (from 2000 to 3000 spaces) beats in English and original languages by
July 15th 2019July 31 2019.
- full papers will be required to be submitted by
September 15thSeptember 31 2019 and then be subjected to double-blind peer review. The length of the contributions 20000/25000 characters (abstract, notes and bibliography excluded).
- illustrations (maximum 10 per article) must be collected in a .zip folder to be renamed by accompanying the author’s surname and a progressive numbering corresponding to the captions (eg 01_Cognome, 02_Cognome). These should be listed in a document written in the same font as the main text and written on a Word .doc document as follows Figure 1: Author’s name and surname, Title of the work, date. Minimum resolution of 300 dpi, .JPG file.
The Director of Pages on Arts & Design
Pad#16 | Call for articles closed
“PAD. Pages on Arts & Design” schedules for 2018-2019 three miscellaneous numbers.
With this call PAD want to give ample room for young researchers from PhD courses, in order to receive heterogeneous proposals providing their interest among the culture of design and arts in the context of the Mediterranean area.
The leading element of the number will be the motivation and/or the contextualization of the proposal related to the Mediterranean scenario. The proposal may also feature only the introductive paragraph of the article, stating the reasons why the authors consider the subject of their research of interest for the cultural identity or the evolution of design and arts in the Mediterranean context, as well as the methodological adequacy and the completeness of the research argument.
The number, entitled “Research Reasons in/to the Mediterranean III”, will receive original contributions from the most diverse themes and typologies (historical research, phenomenological, criticism of contemporary practices, etc.).
We ask to send abstract proposals (from 2000 to 3000 characters) at PAD (email@example.com; cc at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) beats in English and original languages) by December 21st 2018. After a first peer review, full papers will be required to be submitted by February 28th 2019 and then be subjected to double-blind peer review.
The Director of Pages on Arts & Design
PAD Journal referee process
PAD declares to apply the double blind peer review to every article published respecting and guaranteeing the independence of the judgment requisite and the absence of any conflict of interest.
The referee process is rigorous and it is directed by the scientific direction of the journal under a wide a vast repository of external academic reviewers.
The whole publishing process includes the following phases:
- Submission and acceptance of articles proposals by abstracts that will results congruent to the call for papers subject; call for abstracts will be published, widely diffused and open to the scientific community of reference;
- Forward of articles contents (texts, references, images) to two external reviewers together with a designed referee format; the Journal Direction makes all the texts anonymous by omitting names and any authors’ personal referee figuring into the texts; the referee format will be resent complete in all its entry to the scientific direction;
- Transmission to the authors by the scientific direction of a report communicating the two reviewers’ evaluations and comments (reviewers will be anonymous) in order to improve the article; these evaluations and comments – together with the following verify of the suggested corrections to the articles (where required)– will contribute to the Direction final decision to publish the article.
- Annual publication of the reviewers involved into the referee process.
Project Apparatus: intends to be an annex to PAD for non academic articles presenting interesting art or design projects regarding the topics presented by the call. Iconographic apparatus (max 10 images, 300 dpi) + text (max 5000 spaces).